Friday, November 4, 2011

My (Our) Philosphy on Halloween Candy


My thought is, I am probably going to eat it anyways, so I might as well just eat it and get it out of the house--guess it is Kiley's thought too!

But in all serious, I am trying to raise two girls with confident images of themselves, their bodies and a healthy self-esteem and I believe that the way to do that is through moderation.  I realize that obesity is a huge problem our society and many parents wouldn't even think about letting their kids eat any candy/sweets.  We always get an email from Kiley's school about having a sweet treat for someone's birthday and it says that parents can opt for their kids to have a different/healthier item.  I don't ever remember this being the case when I was in school.  Birthdays were a treat--so it was exciting to get to eat the treat.  Same thing with Halloween.  It comes around once a year and it something that look forward to and get excited about.  So I guess my philosphy is everything is ok in moderation.  If I don't teach my child that now and only have a list of off limit foods, I think that they are going to crave those sweets even more later in life.  I also am committed to teaching my children about healthy lifestyles of exercise.  It is important to me to get to the gym most days of the week and it has become the one thing that we do every day.  I think that is teaching them that it is important to exercise and I fully believe that kids should get outside and play and not be sitting inside watching tv, playing video games, or playing on the computer.  I am trying my hardest to raise healthy, happy children--but the world today is a lot different than the one I grew up in. I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable just letting them go out and play by themselves so I have to commit to making it a priority in our day.  I have to find time in between listening to two kiddos who always want something to make a hot dinner for the family.  It requires planning ahead and having a plan for the day and trying to stick to that plan.  I am working on this and getting better at it everyday.  I think that I am finally finding my groove in raising 2 under 2--and I guess to tie this back in to Halloween candy--it probably doesn't help that I maybe have also been on a sugar high this week :) 

Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment