Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Patience

If you know me, you know that patience is not my strongest asset.  I want things and I want them now.  Well, let's just say that motherhood is definitely giving me a crash course on patience.  They say that love is patient, but they don't say that patience is easy.  Take for instance, going on a simple walk around the block with a two year old.  Sounds pleasant enough, right?  Well, when said walk around the block (1.47 miles to be exact) takes oh 1 hour and 7 minutes, you know there has to be some patience involved. 
 The stroller with baby had to come along for the walk of course, however, so did the purse filled with all the animal which was much to big to carry on one's shoulder so we had to rig it to the stroller like a diaper bag--purse drug on the ground the entire walk but there was no way the purse could ride in the big stroller.
 Baby was in and out of the stroller.  I'm not sure why-maybe she was crying, guess the over the shoulder, behind the back hold calmed her down.  Let's just be thankful that's not Ella :)

 Oh, then there was the block that we decided that we should pick up non-existent dog poop and wear a dog poop bag on our hand for the rest of the walk. 

 Baby's back to being carried over the shoulder.  I swear I don't carry Ella like that-I don't know where she picked that move up.
 Crossing the streets tends to be difficult.  Nope--Kiley can't ride in the stroller across the streets, she has to walk but doesn't yet grasp the concept of walking quickly or that the light changes and that cars want to drive down the street.  I'm pretty sure I did pass one man walking who muttered an obscenity under his breath as he saw us crossing the street--I probably would too.  I was walking two dogs, a double stroller with one baby in and one toddler walking down the street with her stroller. 
And, then there is always the need to break to dance when you walk by the house blasting music. 

To say my patience was tested a time or two is an understatement, but we made it back to the house.  Everyone talks about the terrible twos, but in times like these, I must say just letting Kiley be independent and not having to be hurrying from one place to the next showed me that it may not always be about getting my two year old to conform to my timeline.  Maybe what's terrible sometimes is my lack of patience to let her get out and explore the world the way she wants.  Today we had the time, the weather was beautiful, all I needed was a little (ok, a lot) of patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment