Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Appetizers, Random Pics, and Camera Question

Kevin and I had a SUPER healthy day of eating on Sunday.  To Kevin, the start of football season is one of the best days of the year.  If I can remember how he put it, it was something like "aside from my family and friends, football may be one of the things that I love the most."  However, after the weekend I was having, I was actually excited for football Sunday to have an excuse to eat like crap.  Hey--if I was going to make the appetizers for him, I was going to partake of course.  So, here are two of our staple appetizer receipes. 

Mexican Dip

1 8 oz. cream cheese
1 can chili with beans
3 or 4 green onions
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 small pkg of shredded cheddar cheese

Soften cream cheese in a 9" shallow baking dish in microwave approx. 30 sec, spread to cover the bottom of the dish.  Chop green onions.  Then layer the rest of the ingredients (except cheese) in order.  Heat in microwave approx. 1 min 50 sec.  Add cheese after heated.  Serve with tostito rounds--Kevin must have the rounds for some reason to eat the dip. 

Cucumber Appetizers

1 loaf fresh white bread
8 oz. cream cheese
1 pkg good seasons dry Italian salad dressing mix
2 skinny cucumbers
2 spoonfuls of mayo

Use a small bowl, soften cream cheese in microwave approx. 30 sec.  Mix in entire package of Dry Italian Dressing Mix, add mayo.  Cut crust off of bread, cut into squares--I use the top rim of a larger shot glass and press it into the bread to make circles.  You could can really use cookies cutters or anything to make whatever shape you would like.  Peel cucumbers, slice.  Spread bread with cream cheese mixture.  Place a cucumber slice on each piece of bread.  Place on large platter.  When platter is filled, sprinkle with pepper.

Definitely not the healthiest day of eating, but I'm taking a little vacay from dieting this week.  Next Monday it is back on, but I am going to enjoy my vacation to the fullest and yes that will include eating whatever and having cocktails by the pool in a few days.  I can't wait! (but I have a ton to do before then, so I must be going as the pile of laundry sitting on my bed is not folding itself)

I haven't posted any pics in a while though, so here are a couple of recent ones.  I have realized that I need a new camera and I think that a dslr in on my birthday/X-mas list.  Any recs for good ones?




No comments:

Post a Comment