Sunday, January 8, 2012

"The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks

So I am attempting to read a book a week this year.  I know, I doubt I will be successful, but I have one week under my belt so I am at least 1 for 1!!!!  This week's book was The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks.

It was a pretty quick read and I would have finished it a lot sooner had I not been spending my time looking at real estate websites for the home of my dreams, only to realize that it's not out there right now.  But, anyways, I did finish it within the week which was really the goal.  I thought that it was a little slow at first and it was hard for me to really grasp the true dynamic of the relationship between the two main characters.
As I was reading it, I was thinking to myself, how could these two characters who are now in their 40's still be holding onto feelings from from their first love whom they haven't spoken to or seen in 20 years. However, then I remembered that I met Kevin when I was a teenager and I'm pretty sure that I would still love him in 20 years even if we went without seeing or talking to each other for all those years--ha wasn't that sappy, true, but a little too cheesy to come out of my mouth.  Anyways, back to the story, it wasn't as predictable as I would have thought.  Granted, I wasn't really thinking of the title while I was reading it or I may have been able to predict the ending a little sooner than 100 pages from the end, but it was an interesting twist.  And when I say interesting--what I really mean is completely unrealistic and would never happen in a million years, but if I wanted a realistic book I guess I should have read a non-fiction :)

Out of a 5 star rating system--which I will give to each book I read.  1 being the worst and 5 the best (just so you don't get confused), I think that I give this one a two.  It wasn't amazing, but if you are looking for a quick read that's not completely romantic and sappy the entire time like some of the other Nicholas Sparks books, then this one was decent.  It's no The Notebook though so don't get your hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment