Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Home

So Kevin and I had an awesome time on our date night down in the city on Saturday night.  We went to the auto show, went to happy hour, had a nice dinner and met a friend out for drinks afterwards.  We slept in on Sunday morning and went back to our favorite breakfast place and my favorite cupcake place.  It was so great to be able to spend time together and just get to enjoy each others company.  And it was nice to get to wear a nice "going out" dress that I knew wasn't going to get dirty hands all over it before I even left the house.

But, I must say that after seven short months, the city no longer felt like home to me.  I got to about 9:00--right after dinner and I must say that I was ready to go home.  I missed my girls, I missed my dogs, most of our friends were busy doing their own things and couldn't meet us out, times had changed and so have we.  While there are things that I miss about the city, I feel at home here at our new house.  Maybe it is because I grew up 10 minutes from our current house so the area is so familiar and comfortable, but I feel a lot more at peace here.  While the bustle of the city is nice once in awhile, I realize that it's not the place I wanted to raise my girls.  I'm so glad that we decided to move when we did because I now see them making friends that they will have hopefully for a lifetime--kids they will ride the bus with, kids that they will invite over to play and in the summer spend countless hours outside before I have to call them in, friends that they will have sleepovers with and share memories with.  And for me, while making friends has been slower as one would expect for a 30-something, I too am glad that I can make friends that I hopefully will be able to call when I need someone to pick up one of my girls from school because I am stuck in traffic and it's nice to run into a friendly face that I know almost everywhere that we go.  It's nice to hop into the car and drive somewhere without worrying about the parking.  It's nice to know that this is the place that we are going to be long-term. I feel much more at home now than I even realized I did before our weekend away.  I guess I am just a suburban girl at heart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment