Sunday, February 24, 2013

I am admired. . .

A few nights ago in yoga, my instructor told us to focus on our breathing and either count and use a mantra to control our breathing.  I usually am not one for mantras, but on this particular day, repeating a few phrases was really motivating to me.  At first, they were ones that I try to repeat to myself numerous times throughout my day just to remind me of my strengths, "I am a good mother, "I am a good wife," "I am strong."  Then out of nowhere came one that sort of came out of my unconsciousness, "I am admired."  I could tell that my breathing changed a bit because that is not something that I would ever think of myself.  I don't think people admire me.  I don't think that I do anything that deserves admiration.  I am a SAHM like so many of mothers out there, and to be honest, I am don't even really think that I am a very good mom most of the time--so it hardly deserves admiration.   Yet, when I got an email from my sister a couple of weeks ago that said, "I admire you," that was probably the best compliment that I could ever receive.  I didn't know why at the time, but it hit just the right spot to me. 

Skip ahead to this morning at church--throughout the season of Lent, our church is focusing on the book.

Now, I must be honest and tell you that I am only about one chapter in, but I can already tell you that what my love language is from the above example.  My love language is most certainly through Words of Affirmation.  Simply put, I feel most loved when those that love me are open and expressive in telling me most specifically how much they appreciate me.  However, now that I know that about myself, I also know that in my role as SAHM is know for a fact that my girls a very rarely, if ever, going to tell me how much they appreciate me.   I know that they are not going to say thanks for cooking breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.  I know they aren't going to tell me how much they appreciate me driving them to school, picking them up, being at every party, school function, field trip, etc.  I know that most (ok, probably all) of my "job" is thankless.  It's just everyday life, but realizing that I also thrive on those statements of appreciation, I realize how that one statement from my sister was able to touch me so much more than even a simple, "I love you" would have.  I just need to know that someone's life is better because I am in it, and not just knowing it, but hearing it from them really goes a long way for me. 

Now of course there are other love languages and the key is to figure out what your love language is and even more so--to figure out what others love languages are.  To know that, helps us to be better partners, wives, parents, friends, daughters, sisters, etc.  So, thank you to my sister for knowing what my love language is.  Somedays it is just the thing you need to hear to make it through the day, and on that particular day that I got that email, it meant the world to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment