Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Motivation where are you?

I'm not going to lie, my motivation is starting to wane.  I not feeling motivated to track my points for weight watchers--and the delivery of girl scout cookies is not helping me to make great choices.  My motivation for getting to the gym is ok (probably has something to do with the childcare :)), but when I get there, I just don't feel like really getting into that long run I said I was going to do.  My motivation for updating the blog when all of the pictures and videos I have from this month seems a bit overwhelming.  I have laundry and cleaning to do and on and on and on. 

I know that it is this time of year--it's the time that this season affective disorder really sets in for me and I start to feel really unmotivated.  Before having kids, I always had some fun spring break trip to look forward to.  A week in a warm sunny place really does wonders for your outlook and keeps you motivated to keep up the healthy eating and working out.  However, since having kids, there haven't been any spring breaks. I know--whoa is me and I really do try to keep it in perspective, but I crave being outside, I crave the sun, I crave taking walks and riding my bike.  And as we have a forecast of snow and cold for the whole rest of the week, it makes it tough to keep motivated. 

Now, I know as soon as I start getting unmotivated, it is a slippery slope.  I start eating one cookie, then it's two, and then of course I am buying the Reese's Peanut Butter egg in line at Target--yes I have done all of these in the past two days :(  I realize that I need to not beat myself up over it, but I know me and I know that once I start going down this unmotivated path, it's hard to get back on track. 

So, starting today, I am going to try something different.  I am going to hold myself accountable for all of my goals.  I am going to start my day out with a to-do list and I am going to hold myself accountable for accomplishing all of those things-no excuses.  Here are my non-negotiables for each day. . .

1. Exercise
2. Track my food through weight watchers--notice I didn't say I was going to eat perfect, but I tend to make better choices if I am seeing how many points I am eating and usually I can reign it in.
3. Blog.  I started this as a journal for myself and my family and I am going to keep with it.  Granted it just may be a picture a day, but it's better than nothing.
4.  Do a load of laundry each day-start to finish--that's the hard part for me.  It's easy to throw in a load, but I have such a hard time with folding and putting away.
5.  Pick one room/area to clean each day.
6.  Get to sleep on time.  This one is huge for me because even one night of not great sleep for me affects me.  I wish I could be one of those people that could manage on 6 hours of sleep, but I'm not.  I accept that and I know it must be a priority to me to get my sleep in order to have motivation the next day.
7.  Write in my gratitude journal.  This one is SO important for me and yet I so often let it go to the wayside.  With this time of year and the SAD kicking in,  I need something to remind me of the blessings in my life.
8.  Find one thing at the start of each day that I am looking forward to!  I tend to look forward to things in the future, but forget about the everyday.  I think with motivating myself, I really need to have something to look forward to each day.

So, there you have it.  Hopefully my motivation will find me again so I don't have to force it, but for now this in my plan to stay on target.

What keeps you motivated?
Do you ever get the winter blues?
How do you overcome it?  (aside from moving from the snowy Midwest?)

No comments:

Post a Comment