Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to School Traditions

So, as most schools are getting ready to head back to school next Monday, I am linking up today to Kelly's Korner for her weekly Show Us Your Life topic.  She picks a different topic each week and people can link up their own posts on the topic.  This weeks topic is Back to School Traditions. 

Since neither of the girls are in school yet, and we don't have any so-called traditions for them yet, I had to think back to the back to school traditions that I can remember doing each and every year.  The only one that really comes to mind is the quintessential Back-to-School picture.  Now, trying to find some of these pictures for this post proved to be a little difficult. I guess my mom must have most of them, but I did find this little gem. 

If my memory serves me correctly (based on the broken leg) this is me going into the 2nd grade which was the year that I started at Hunting Ridge.  I assume that Abby was starting junior high based on my quick 5 year addition (but I could be wrong, it's early).  There's a lot that can be said about this picture--mainly Abby's outfit because how cute am I, you can't make fun of me, but this post is about school traditions not bad outfits.  What I really wish was in this picture was the goose that my mom had on the front porch.  It was one of those big statue geese that my mom would dress up for different seasons, events, etc.  The goose had it's own closet for geese outfits that of course you can only buy at one of the zillions of craft fairs that she would drag my dad and I to (thinking of that, how did Abby always get out of going to the craft fair?) because what store would sell outfits for geese.  So, this leaves me to wonder, what was the goose wearing in this back to school picture?  I miss that goose and now I realize that I have to get something similar that my girls can remember and make fun of me for when they are older.  Love you mom :)

Other than that, I don't remember to many other back-to-school traditions.  Yes, we did the back to school shopping trips.  Of course, my favorite was always the shopping trip to get new school supplies.  If you know me, you know my love of office supplies.  It's a little sad that I don't have much use for them anymore, but you better believe that when it is time for the girls to go to school, they will have the best school supplies out there.  Let's hope that when they go to school an Ipad is not of the school supply list--why do I have a feeling that in a couple years that may be the case. 

The one thing about traditions is, obviously, you have to do them every year and you have to start them early on.  So, now I am left to think of the things that I want to be traditions for my family.  What back-to-school traditions do you remember as a kid and which ones to you think that I should do with the girls?  I need some good ideas. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  I have some fun posts planned for next week, so get excited!  I am leaving you on this Friday morning with a little video that I shot this morning while writing this post.  It is entitled, "Kiley is thirsty." And yes, I did stop her from doing this--after I shot the video :)

1 comment:

  1. You look so cute!I loved second grade both when I was a student and when I taught it.

    ReplyDelete