Thursday, January 3, 2013

Facebook break

It's hard to believe that a few years ago we didn't have Facebook or Ipads--and even when I was in college, we didn't even have cell phones.  My friends and I joke that it was so much harder to get a hold of people in college and we really had to work to run into the guy that we wanted to see on a Saturday night.  We joke about how college kids have it so easy these days.  Well, with that ease--it also takes you to a place where you don't have to work to hard to connect with people.  While this may seem like a good thing, with the advent of Facebook, for me I think that it is a detriment.  I fully admit that I have become a lazy friend.  I rarely pick up the phone to call someone, I don't send a lot of personal emails, I don't write letters or cards--all of these things I really enjoy getting from others so why don't I do more of it.  I spend time on Facebook looking at people's updates that I haven't talked to in years and probably won't ever talk to again, but I don't spend enough time on the people that really matter.  That is definitely an area that I need to improve on this year.  This was brought to my attention a couple of times this week so I have made a decision to take a little break from relying on Facebook to keep me up-to-date on people's lives and put in a bit more effort myself.  Life isn't about status updates-it's about real relationships--face to face ones, not the ones we initiate or try to maintain on the computer.  While I may not have a ton of time--I have time to write a quick note every once in a while, instead of a quick text, I can put in a phone call.  I've read numerous studies saying that it's good for the body and soul to really connect with friends and family--the key words there are to really connect.  So in 2013, I am making strides to really connect and try to not be such a lazy friend, sister, daughter, mom, wife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment