Friday, January 18, 2013

Some thoughts on running

So, every day-time talk show I turned on today was in full Lance Armstrong discussion mode, which got me thinking, and somehow I ended back at running.  I know--random, but it does make a little bit of sense--well at least to me it does. 

So, let's be clear on one thing.  I am not a good runner.  I'm slow, I don't have very good form, and I haven't even been running for very long.  On a whim last year, I decided to sign up for a half-marathon because a friend was doing it.  Everything that I have heard about running, is that it is mostly mental and if you train, anyone can do it.  Sounds simple enough, right?  Yes, anyone can run.  My two-year-old can run--and sometimes (ok, a lot of the times) can outrun me.  But, to be good at running, now that takes skill and practice and training and willpower and stamina and the list goes on and on. 

Ok, so again you ask, how did you get on this subject from Lance Armstrong.  Well, I got to thinking at how I want my girls to see what's important in sports and athletics--which led me to dig a little deeper into why I run.  I don't run to be first, I don't run to beat any certain time, I don't run for money, I do it because I enjoy it (well, I enjoy it when I'm done :))  I train and work hard with no need for anyone's admiration or respect.  Sure, it's nice to get a good job from someone when I finish and to hear people motivating me along the way, but primarily I do it for myself.  I have no idea what my girls are going to be interested in in terms of sports or activities, but one thing is for sure, I want them to do something they enjoy.  I don't want to pressure them to be the best.  I don't want them to feel like they have to win a game or be the fastest.  I don't want them to worry about being in the front of the formation if they dance.  I just want them to enjoy what they are doing and work hard.  I don't want them to ever cheat to get ahead or have an advantage over someone else.  I don't want them to feel like they would ever be disappointing me if they aren't the best, or even good.  I just want to see them enjoy what they are doing and do the best that they possibly can with the gifts that they have been given.

As I cross each finish line, I realize that I am not the best, middle of the pack if I am lucky--more like back of the pack most of the time, but I am enjoying it and I am trying my best. I am putting in the work and in the end, I am content knowing that I am able to just finish the race.  I wonder if Lance Armstrong would want the same for his children, or if he holds them to some unattainable standard of perfection.  That it indeed setting someone up for failure, and I don't ever want my children to feel like failures.  Even someone who has tried and come in dead last, did more than the person that didn't even try and that is the message about sports that I want to convey to my girls.  So, my final thought on running I guess is, while I may come in dead last, I still worked hard to get to last place--I still put in the same miles as those that won the race, it just took me a little longer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment